Sunday, January 15, 2012

Define Normal

Christmas is over.

2012 is here.

We're into mid-January already ... a time when college students return for the spring semester. As many other BU parents do, we loaded up the car and headed into Boston to drop her off.

Jim: How did it go?
Me: Fine. She's all set. Time to get back to normal.

Wait! What? Did I really say that? Since when did my empty nest fall into the "normal" category? Oh my!

Flashback to mid-December where she came home for Christmas break. Within hours her backpack, shoes (multiple pairs), headphones, laptop, etc. were strewn across the family room, kitchen, stairs and into her bedroom. It's insanity!

And barely a month later, it's all packed up and loaded in the car. No more signs of my youngest strewn about the house. Am excited for her as she heads back to begin her spring semester as a junior (how did that happen so fast?). Very excited about the upcoming softball season and all that is ahead there.

And yet, I find myself a bit melancholy to know that it will be late May or even June before I get the chance to trip over her shoes, refold the blanket she used or hear her phone go off during dinner. In the big scheme of life, it's not that long and I'll certainly see her as her biggest fan in the stands at softball games. But home is not the same without the energy she brings. Each of my girls adds a different element to the life in our home. It's just not really home without them both here.

I've come to accept the new norm. We are definitely back to normal. The grocery bill decreases again. Laundry is done in 1.5 loads vs. four. No more "Friends" episodes.

Am surprised at myslef that I'm able to find the joy in this new norm. I certainly miss what was. It was glorious. But, normal is becoming comfortable. And it's ok.

"I believe the key to happiness is: someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to."  
Elvis Presley

All of that is true even with an empty nest. Life is good. :)

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, I remember how I felt every time I thought about my baby leaving. I was so excited for her, yet scared and sad for me. I'm here for you as you join me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete